So I normally don't get on a soapbox about anything, but this article just infuriated me. I can't believe that, in 2008, people can be so ignorant and hateful and hide it behind the facade of being a Christian.
For the record, I don't believe homosexuality is a choice. I believe you are born either gay or straight. For those who don't agree, ask yourself - did you make a conscious choice to be straight, or is it just what feels natural? I'll bet it's the latter. And if you're STILL not convinced, please ask yourself this - why would anyone choose to put themselves through the emotional turmoil of feeling different, and fearing rejection and hatred, and being discriminated against for the better part of their lives that all come with being gay?
Also, the whole argument that we'll have to teach gay marriage in schools if Prop 8 doesn't pass? Is just bullshit. In schools, we teach tolerance of those who are different from us, whether it's because of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. Marriage is rarely, if ever, discussed. The only time I even mention homosexuality is to tell my students not to call things/people they don't like "gay," because it is derogatory.
I was just recently able to have the wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime experience of marrying the person I love. I know I will never experience the same kind of happy, joyous, complete feelings that I felt on my wedding day, and would not wish those to be denied anyone. The idea that voting yes on Prop 8 will "protect marriage" is ludicrous. I hope you feel the same, and will join me in voting NO on Prop 8.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment