8.31.2008

3 day weekend

I am so happy to have one more day in this weekend! I'm back at work now, and while it's actually going really well & relatively problem-free, it's still exhausting.

Yesterday I went to the orientation for my MA program at UCD from 9am-3pm. It wasn't as panic-inducing as I thought it would be...it'll just be a LOT of work, and I know I won't have any free time until late March. But I can handle that.

On the way home, I called Robbie & he told me our cat, Ojo, had gotten out & was missing. This is especially problematic because our cats are declawed, so couldn't defend themselves against all the other cats in the neighborhood who like to fight. So we spent a good hour (in the 100 degree heat) walking up & down the street, looking in bushes & calling him. After a trip all the way down our street & back, I went in my backyard again, just to double-check it. I was calling him, & looking over in the bushes near our pool, because my cat Socks (that we had to put to sleep a year ago today...RIP) used to hide in them. I was walking back to the house when I heard a faint meowing coming from some of the bushes. I climbed in there, but couldn't see him. Our neighbor is out of town, so Robbie went over into his backyard because we thought Ojo was on that side, & couldn't get back over. He wasn't, so we looked over the back of our fence into the ditch. Nothing. Finally, Robbie climbed on the fence & looked down between them (there's a gap), and sure enough - there was Ojo! He was stuck in this really small space between the two fences - he could walk, but not jump. We had to get a crowbar, pry off one of the fence boards, & then I was able to reach in & grab him. He'd been stuck there for about 2 hours, & was really hot & dirty, but otherwise fine. I'm just so glad I heard him - we never would have found him otherwise. We gave him a bath a few hours after rescuing him, & the water in the bathtub was completely brown. He was so dirty!

Alright, I have to leave. We're going to a birthday party for my Aunt Mattie - today's her 73rd birthday!

No comments: